Protect Your Dental Sleep Medicine Practice Course Description
This course, provided by the SCOPE Institute for Sleep Apnea & Craniofacial Pain Education, is your chance to pick the brain of Dr. Ken Berley, DDS, JD, practicing sleep apnea dentist and attorney, who offers an invaluable legal perspective to every dental practice involved in dental sleep medicine and sleep apnea treatment.
Dr. Berley will set the record straight on the dental sleep gray areas including:
- Addressing Recent Dental Sleep Medicine Protocols and Confusions
- Proper Forms – Including Informed Consent, & Release of Liability and Assumption of Risk
- Reducing Risk Through Effective Communications and Documentation
Why You Need To Attend
1. Basic Dental Risk Management Principles
2. Russell v. A. H. Lawsuit details
3. Informed Consent
4. Unusual Risks associated with Dental Sleep Medicine
5. Dental Sleep Medicine- A House Divided
6. DSM- Shared and Transferred Liability
7. Ken’s Creeds
8. Patient Records- Use in Lawsuits
9. Stark Law
10. Federal Anti-Kickback Statutes
11. False Claims Statute
12. Third Party Liability
14. Dental Sleep Medicine- Standard of Care
15. AADSM Practice Parameters- What they Mean
16. Hearsay- Learned Treatise
1. Legal Ramifications of EDS
2. Ken’s Creeds cont.
3. Shared and transferred liability cont.
4. Patient Medical/Dental Records
5. Intake Examination/ record development
6. Transferred liability- Referrals
7. Informed Refusals- How and when to use
8. Medications- Legal Ramifications in Dental Sleep Medicine
9. Release of Liability & Assumption of Risk- When & How to use
10. Recall and Post insertion instructions
11. TMD- Legal Ramifications
12. How to use Dental Writer to minimize legal risk
13. Medicare- what you must know/do to stay out of trouble.
Protect your Dental Sleep Medicine Practice Course In Detail
In today’s educational landscape, there is little to no education in dental school on sleep apnea treatment, and once out of school, many education groups give out just enough information to be dangerous, glossing over many crucial topics such as proper informed consent, release of liability forms and many other risk management protocols.
Because of the medical nature of sleep apnea, treatment, followup and documentation protocols are not the same as normal dental procedures and the dental practice needs to be well aware of the differences. Is the dental practice liable if one of their sleep apnea patients gets into a car accident because of drowsiness? What kind of documentation is required to have on file to protect yourself?
Dental Sleep Medicine is not hard. It is just different!
And these differences should never deter a dental practice from getting involved in sleep apnea treatment as it is one of the most rewarding and needed fields in dentistry. It is just important to understand these differences to ensure you are implementing the proper protocols from the get go.
Once set, your dental sleep medicine practice can flourish while you focus on the best quality of care for your patients.
So how do you get started in the right direction?
Dr. Berley has spent hundreds of hours developing and perfecting his risk management for dental sleep medicine course. Utilizing his knowledge as an attorney and his experience of treating hundreds of sleep apnea cases, Dr. Berley has refined and documented the protocols he implements in his own practice to ensure maximum protection.
From The Words of Dr. Berley:
“I will be digging deep into the legal aspects of implementing dental sleep medicine into the dental practice and Rose and her team will go over the billing and software. This is an essential two day seminar for dentists and team members, no matter what stage of the DSM journey you find yourselves in.
This course was designed to equip practices with the knowledge and documents to protect themselves from the consequences of providing treatment to sleep patients who could cause both automobile and industrial accidents.
Risk management of DSM will add value to every DSM strategy and will help establish gold standard protocols moving forward. I will help guide you through the steps necessary to safeguard your practice from the tidal wave of litigation that is a real possibility. In addition, team members will learn proper risk management protocols for medical billing, documentation, record keeping and patient communications. The value you receive from an educational seminar should go far beyond the weekend course.”
16 CE Credits
Team Member $795
Dentist + 2 Team M. $2,295
Dr. Ken Berley
PACEProgram Provider FAGD/MAGD Credit Approval does not imply acceptance bya state of provincial board of dentistry or AGD endorsement. 8/1/2016 to 7/31/2019
Refund and Cancellation Policies: Cancellations are to be made in writing. All paid registration fees will be refunded at 100% for cancellations received 14 days prior to start of course. An assessment fee of $250.00 will be taken for cancellations received after this time. This course provider reserves the right to cancel a course or to provide a substitute instructor if conditions warrant. All registration fees will be returned if the course is cancelled.